Thursday, August 17, 2006

I Love Volleyball Tourney Weekends!

So I am on my second day back from Kenora and had just an awesome time! I can't remember the last time I had that much fun in Kenora. It started with Friday and I got to town and my mom and I went for lunch and had a good time and then dinner and then all the volleyball peeps finally got down around 10 pmish or so. So I trekked over to the camp site to help (or hinder depends on your POV) set up some tents. Yes erecting tents, there were a few penile jokes to say the least, but all in good tempered fun. We hung out there until about 2 AM had a few beers and shot the shit around the fire. Hadn't done that in like FOREVER! I can't even remember the last time I was even in Anicinabe Park. I was a kid I am pretty sure. When you grow up in Kenora you don't camp there, only outsiders camp there. If you are a true Kenoran, you camp outside of city limits. Anyways I had the butterflies that kept me awake all night so I didn't exactly get a good nite sleep the night before. I couldn't wait to play volleyball the next day. We had a kick ass team! It was Mark, Melissa, Sean, Tall Guy Todd and I on a co-ed 4's team. We couldn't miss! Or so I thought. Our first game was against a White Fish Bay team. I had my whole family there (minus my pa) to watch. My nieces even came out to watch which was fun. They're so cute! Anyhow, we lost our first game because we looked like we were scared of the ball. We were afraid to hit and set and just about anything. So Todd said we need to play more aggressively and he was totally right. Then the next game we won, and we played so much better. So we split that match. I didn't get that at all, a match consisted of 2 games, how do you win the match? Weird. And the tournament wasn't very well organized at all. They didn't even provide us with balls to play with. We used my ball in a few of our games. The weather wasn't cooperating well neither. So the next game we played was about 45 minutes later and one of the guys went back to the campsite to do up the tents and then didn't come back for the game. I thought that was lame honestly. But we won that game pretty easily. My dad came out for that one and so did my girl Brandy! I even knocked a guy down with my serve. Heh! Love that! I got mooned too at the net. That was one hairy ass wowsers! After that game we didn't play again for like an hour and a half so I went back tot he lounge and sat with Brandy and we talked for a while which was nice cause I haven't seen her in ages! She had lunch, but I don't eat when I play ball cause if I dive and land funny after eating then vomitous occurs. That's never a good idea. So back to the courts. We played another tough White Fish Bay team. And we split that one too. But our game play was better. I actually got the boys to the net to let them hit my sets. And Todd had some spectacular blocks on their top guy. He blocked him like 3 times in a row. It was HOT! So we are still winning 4 of 6 games, that put us in a good position. The next team we played was another tough team but I don't think they were from White Fish Bay. And we imploded against them. I don't know what happened there. We had all 5 of us back and we just couldn't gel on anything. The guys were trying to do some fancy stuff and it just wasn't working. Then Sean bailed half way through the game. I don't know why he does that. It's one of two reasons, either he thinks he's the weak link and doesn't want to bring down the team, or he doesn't want to be blamed for the loss. The majority of the points were unforced errors in both games of that match. We got spanked in both matches. We barely made 11 points in each game. I was dumbfounded! So with these two straight losses we needed to win at least one of our next games in order to make the playoffs. But we were going to have to face the toughest Winnipeg team, Confusion, which consists of Lorne, Christian, Scott, Gio and Sarah. They had done really well so far and if they beat us twice they had a bye into the playoffs the next day. Did I mention we are friends with all of these people? And honestly I wouldn't want them to throw a game but they didn't need to play us the way they did. It was a bit demoralizing. And we got massively passive aggressive on the court. And I don't think that helps in my opinion. It shows a lack of passion. We just got madder at ourselves individually and it made it harder to dig out of a hole. And Sean didn't even play at all in this game for whatever reason. And we lost both games so no playoffs the next day. :( It sucked! Then a couple of them said they were just going to go back to the city that night instead of sticking around and supporting the other Winnipeg teams that supported us in the last two matches. That kinda hurt a bit I think more then I would have wanted it to. We all decided to go to Hap's that night and hang out and have a good time. And who I thought was leaving didn't leave so it was really nice to see them stick around. So Lorne found a chick he wanted to hook up with so Todd and I took turns being his wing man. It was funny. I got him a bit further cause I told him to go and dance near where she was and she totally went for it- for a while. It was funny! Poor Lorne, he's still not getting any action in Kenora. I still can't believe he was dancing. I drank entirely too much but wasn't sloppy drunk or anything like that. But it was so hot on the dance floor. It was sweaty out there boy. Melissa had a good time out there. Apparently I was pretty red the whole night cause Jeff kept grabbing my face and asking if I was Asian cause Asians get really red when they drink apparently. It was such a good night. I haven't danced that much in so long. And being one of the oldest chicks there too I think I did alright. I lasted pretty long. I outlasted Tall Guy Todd, he was falling asleep at the table. But we didn't last much longer then that. Lorne (the DD) , Christian, Jeff and I all left right after that. We went back to Lornes cabin to have a beer and then I went home. Lorne and Christian went to the campsite after they dropped me off and partied some more. Christian was PLASTERED! Oh he's a funny drunken Brazilian. The next day we went to cheer on the other Winnipeg teams that made it into the playoffs. Lorne's team and Jeff's team. Jeff's team played first against Special Forces (the team we lost to first) and they lost. Two straight games. Then Lorne's team played Nathan Goss' team next. Nathan was the convener of the tournament. Should he have had a team in it???? I don't think so no. But whatever. They lost to Nathan's team so they had to play Special Forces for 3rd place. They lost the first game. So I said we should move to the side our people were playing on and sit on the rocks, so Todd and I moved over and gave them a pep talk on the way. So we cheered our team on from their side of the court and they won the second game. So it forced a rubber match. And Lorne's team demolished them in the last match. I think it was like 15-8 or something. So one Winnipeg team made a place. Their team won a hundred bucks. Cool. Top prize was $700 and $400 for second. We sat around and watched the final between two Kenora teams, Nathan's team and a young team. Nathan won, of course. It was a good game though. But should the convener win 700 bucks???? It is a nice ethical debate. Then a few of us went to get ice cream at Dairy Queen. Then I went to my mom's and had a nice nap. I was tired. And I hurt a bit. But I had two days to spend with family which was nice. I was supposed to go for lunch with Brandy on Monday but she was busy, so I made plans with my mom and she was busy so she cancelled on me so I went for lunch with my dad. We went to this newish place called My Place in Keewatin. It was really good. Then we were having a steak night at Curts house and he did awesome on the steaks. So good! I haven't had a steak in like FOREVER! Then I headed back to the city on Tuesday and got back in time for volleyball. I had a bad night though. I will go into more detail at a later date though. It's a little complicated right now. Anyhow, that was my weekend! Exciting huh? Well I should get back to work, besides my lunch cover should be coming up here soon.....ah there she is!

J-BOMB! OUT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Winnipeg! Third place! Next year it'll be one, two, three.