Monday, March 20, 2006

Irony Sucks Part Deux

The title and the fact that LIFE SUCKS BIG HAIRY DONKEY BALLS should answer any questions whether or not I got the job. It's all I got right now. To be sure there will be more soon. But I need time to formulate words and not tears.

Ok so let's elaborate a bit here folks. First I am going to go through the TM Family tree a bit for a background. I started working in the phone room about 4 months after Kirby started working in the phone room. Kirby started with TM because his good friend Richard was the phone room manager at the time and he needed a job. I started there because I couldn't stand working at Wal-Mart anymore and I had previous TM experience from Calgary. My point... I got the job on my own merits! Not because of whom I knew. About a year and a bit after I was in the phone room a position came up in the Mass Ticketing department. Now I had already been training in that department as backup for a week or so when I found out about the job. So happily I forwarded my resume on with the advice from the person leaving the job that it was really mine for the taking. So a-woohoo for me! THEN I hear that Kirby is putting in for the same position. Hmm, I thought, well I should be worried but I was reassured by that same person not to be worried about it. Ok fine! I was told he didn't have the personality to pull off the job. I myself am chalk full of personality and didn't see this as a problem until, all of a sudden they didn't want me training in the department anymore. Hmm, I thought again. I was told I was taken of training because it wasn't fair. That's when I got worried. That's weird considering the job is mine for the taking. Why would they stop the training, and who were they being fair to? Were they being fair so it wouldn't hurt Kirby's feelings or were they being fair to me so I wouldn't get to attached to the idea of getting the job. Makes it easier to let me down. Oh did I mention that this is before the interviews even took place. Curiouser and curiouser. So the interview went very well. And I seemed to think maybe just maybe I had changed a few minds. I even remember making a bet with someone in the phone room that I wouldn't get it because Kirby was Rich's best friend. And guess what, you got it, I won the bet. Whatever right. Water under the bridge now. So now fast forward to 2005 around October. Beth and I are vying for the same job. Oh yeah Beth on the TM Family Tree, she started 8 months after I did and she got the job because one of her friends was working in the phone room at the time who told her about the job. Whatever really I mean I learned about jobs through other people before. Then she got promoted to the Retail Area Manager (RAM) position (without the job being posted) because, and this is my own personal opinion, because Richard has had a hard on for her since she started. This job is the Box Office Assistant Manager of the MTS Centre. She is the front runner for the position. But I interview so well that I made them think twice about hiring her. But they still give the job to her based on the fact that she has experience at handling a great deal of money compared to me. It's thin I guess but semi-legitimate reasoning. So then they tell me that I should apply for Beth's job because I am a shoe in for it. I was in so many words, barring a strike of lightning, that the position would be mine. This being told to me by both Richard AND Peter. So ok then I will wait again for my moment in the sun. Then about a week and a bit after that fiasco, Rich pulls me into the office and say that they are giving the RAM job to Kirby because they are closing down the Mass departments across Canada except for Vancouver and Toronto. And because they think that Kirby is a worthy employee (Am I not a worthy employee then?) and want to keep him around they decided to give him this job so that he wouldn't be jobless. Interesting. I think he could have had MY job and I could have gotten the job that I was, well I don't want to say promised, but I haven't got any other words to explain it. Fine whatever. So I tool away at my mediocre paying job yet again. So fast forward to this month when I posted "Irony Sucks". Since then I interviewed supremely well (or so I am told) and did not get the job again. The job went to someone in Edmonton and guess what job she used to have there, and oh this hurts, she was the Mass Ticketing person in Edmonton. Nice huh? Again because someone might be out of a job that may not be more qualified for the position than I am gets the job. And because this person is going to be based out of Alberta then all the Outlets (or retail areas) in Winnipeg will be calling me for EVERYTHING! Not that they don't do that now but it will be a little harder emotionally to deal with it now. How can someone not be good to be hired for the job that they already do? So let's recap shall we... I lose a job to someone who was hired through favouritism TWICE. I lose a job to someone who was given the job out of pity TWICE. I lost a job that I was told I would be the best person for the job TWICE. And also two of the people in Winnipeg I lost jobs here to, I am the only one who has never worked for anyone but TM during my 5 year tenure here. Both Kirby and Beth held other jobs at other places even when they were in the phone room. Whether the person in Edmonton did other jobs for another company while she worked for TM is beyond me. It's just so funny how this

company does not reward loyalty at all. Not only did I not get the job but the person who made the decision (Graham) didn't even have the courtesy to tell me himself. Peter emailed him about whether he had made a decision or not and he emailed him back and said that he had chosen the person from Edmonton and asked Peter to let us down here. Classy isn't it? Then to try and make it better Peter kept trying to console me and I think just making it worse. And then came out to tell me to hang in there because they want me take on more responsibilities in the company to get my foot further in the door, but not a word about more money. When he did mention money he said that on March 24th we would be getting our raises. HAH! Our raises are cost of living increases of 3 lousy fucking percent! That doesn't even net me $1000 more a year. It barely nets me half that. What do you do when you have glass ceilinged your current position and they keep giving away better positions to other people? Do you stay or do you go. I mean I have 5 years with this company and up until this last working year it's been pretty good. I have benefits finally and stuff, but how am I supposed to keep on posing as an adult instead of getting to live like one. Like I said BIG HAIRY DONKEY BALLS!!! I'm done.

J-BOMB OUT.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm sorry about the job January ((hugs))!!